HISTORY - UPDATED

XVIII HOME AT LAST

While in occupation in Rothenburg, many members of the 745th who had sufficient points were returned to the States on an .individual basis. This attrition greatly decimated the ranks, but men from other units were transferred into the 745th to make the return trip to the States. The Battalion left Rothenburg in September, 1945, riding in the first train to leave that city since war's end. The trip home took them through various camps in France and finally to the port of Marseille in southern France, where Atlantic transportation was provided by way of the troop ship "George Washington".

The arrival in the States was marked by huge consumption of milk and ice cream - items that had been absent from the diet for too long a time.

In a very brief ceremony at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey on 27 October, 1945, the 745th Tank Battalion was deactivated as Lt. Col. Nichols turned the colors over to the proper authorities for retirement. The men said their last goodbyes to others they had served with, in many cases for over three years, and separately made their way to home and loved ones whom they had not seen for over 26 months.

XIX REACTIVATION AND A NEW NAME

On 10 October, 1948, the battalion under the command of Lt. Col. Marshall W. Frame, was activated at Grafenwoehr, Germany as the 63rd Heavy Tank Battalion and assigned to the 1st Infantry Division. On 5 September, 1949, command of the battalion was assumed by Lt. Col. Creighton W. Abrams. (As junior officers in another outfit, Lt. Col. Abrams and Lt. Col. Nichols ·were roommates). Later in 1949, the 63rd moved to Sullivan Barracks, Mannheim, Germany. In February, 1950 Company C received a new commander, 1st Lt. George S. Patton.

On Organization Day, 7 October, 1950, the unit was presented the Battalion Standard, which was formerly carried by the 745th Tank Battalion. On 10 October the word "Heavy" was dropped from the title when the battalion was reorganized and redesignated at 63rd Tank Battalion (90 mm.). Command of the battalion was assumed by Lt. Col. Francis C. Fitzpatrick on 18 May, 1951, and on 22 May, the battalion moved once more to a new duty station, Harvey Barracks, Kitzingen, Germany.

The history of the unit from 1952 to 1957 is not available. However, it is known that there were several command changes within this period. Lt. Col. Rollin P. Steinmetz succeeded Lt. Col. Fitzpatrick in January, 1954, until June of 1954. In July, 1954, Lt. Col. Leslie H. Cross assumed command until January, 1955. During 1955, the battalion moved to Fort Riley, Kansas, under the command of Major Otis D. Saum. The unit was inactivated on 15 February, 1957, at Fort Riley, and relieved from assignment to the 1st Infantry Division.

On 1 July, 1963, the battalion was redesignated and activated at Fort Riley as the 1st Medium Tank Battalion (Patton) under the command of Lt. Col. John P. Wheeler, Jr.

The next significant event in the history of the battalion occurred in January, 1964, when the 1st Battalion was split into two battalions to form the 1st and 2nd Battalions, 63d Armor. In February, 1964, Lt. Col. Ducius K. Patterson assumed command of the 1st Bn., 63d Armor, and in 1966 was

82
Next Page

Return to Updated History

Home

Email comments or problems to: comment@745tank.com